Are you looking for healthy substitutes for your favorite recipes? We have provided a list of great ingredient swaps that can help reduce the amount of fat and carbohydrates in a dish. After having bariatric surgery, the single most important thing for you to keep in mind is that you are not on a diet; rather, you are living a healthy lifestyle, which includes eating healthy foods. Try out some exciting new recipes, and educate yourself on how to make some of your favorite dishes healthier versions of themselves.
Let’s replace some of these high-fat foods with alternatives that have less fat, or are overall healthier in terms of fat content:
- Sour Cream/Cream cheese: INSTEAD USE plain Greek yogurt or cottage cheese
- Salad Dressing: INSTEAD USE fat-free or Light salad dressings, Salsa, or make your own salad dressing using a salad dressing seasoning packet and plain Greek yogurt
- Mayonnaise: INSTEAD USE mashed avocado, plain Greek yogurt, hummus, pesto
- Marinades: INSTEAD USE fat-free broth, balsamic vinegar, apple cider vinegar
- Oil/Butter: INSTEAD USE mashed avocado, mashed bananas, pumpkin puree, plain Greek yogurt
Weight Loss Results
Make use of these alternatives to help you cut down significantly on the amount of carbohydrates contained in some of your all-time favorites; you might find that you prefer the healthier swap. You’ll never know unless you give it a shot, right?
- Bread: INSTEAD USE spinach, Swiss chard, or Napa cabbage for burger, sandwiches, etc.
- Pasta: INSTEAD USE zucchini ribbons, spaghetti squash, cabbage.
- Rice: INSTEAD USE cauliflower “rice”
- Potatoes: INSTEAD USE steamed, mashed cauliflower
- Pancakes: INSTEAD USE 1-2 scoops protein powder, 1 egg, and 1 tsp. cornstarch; serve with sugar-free jelly or sugar-free syrup
- Flour: INSTEAD USE black beans (I know crazy, but it works!)
- Sugar: INSTEAD USE sugar substitutes like: Stevia/Splenda/Nectresse (1 tsp. liquid sugar substitute or 2Tbsp. powder sugar substitute
Make sure you give these healthy substitutes for your favorite recipes a try!